By the participants of Workshop WS95
We’re currently in a workshop where we are learning how to make the 4th International Marine Conservation Congress (#IMCC4) the most social media friendly conference possible. Here is our ten-point plan for you. You SHOULD be using it!
- Go where the conversation is already. Join it. Don’t try to make a new one from scratch.
- Retweet your colleagues’ work, don’t just favorite it. It helps spread the science message further.
- Contact a presenter on Twitter whose presentation you loved. They won’t mind at all!
- Think about your audience when choosing which social media platform to use.
- Choose appropriate language.
- Storify is easier to do if you do it right away.
- You can talk about real things in 140 characters. Be concise!
- Use social media, because mainstream media picks up stories from it. You can drive the story!
- What you put on social media can be read forever. Don’t tweet anything you wouldn’t want ANYONE to know.
- The half-life of a tweet is seconds. Tweet often, tweet more often, and tweet like your life depends on it. That’s what makes IMCC4 MASSIVE!